Humane Canada™ is happy to respond to media inquiries and can arrange comment and interviews with our CEO, Barbara Cartwright.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Marketing and Communications Coordinator
IN THE MEDIA
- Spaying, neutering and controlling feral cat populations shows compassion
August 12, 2020
“The impacts of this overpopulation are serious and include cats languishing in shelters long term, or worse, succumbing to stress-related illnesses. For cats who remain outdoors, risk of disease transmission, as well as illness, injury and death are daily realities.” Read full story here.
- Bill 156: Security from trespass or ag-gag?
July 9, 2020
The Lawyer’s Daily
“Welfare and treatment of farm animals is one of the focuses of Humane Canada. It recently posted on social media that the fight is not over, “… we will continue to oppose AG Gag Bills that are already being drafted in other provinces.” Read full story here.
- Pets, vets, vaccines and the pandemic: Animal and human health entwined more than ever in COVID times
July 3, 2020
“We expected that there were going to be more animals surrendered to shelters because as people started to lose their jobs, …….we were expecting them to not be able to afford veterinary care, food and medication for their pets.” Read full story here.
- Former staff, volunteers and adopters allege EJ Rescue hoarded dogs, hid info and failed to supply proper care
June 29, 2020
“Humane Canada says there needs to be a comprehensive animal welfare law and regulation that governs animals in Canada“. Read full story here.
- N.B. animals shelters struggle financially amid COVID-19 pandemic
June 15, 2020
“Animal shelters have been denied local emergency funding for charities because animal welfare isn’t included in the funding criteria and funding shelters is not considered a priority. Read full story here.
- The New Reality: The appeal of the pandemic puppy
May 31, 2020
“Humane Canada reports adoption numbers are up between 20 and 60 per cent across the country during ongoing pandemic…..the breeders have also seen an increase in demand, with litters selling out months before conception.” Read full story here
- More pet cats getting abandoned amid housing crunch: Vancouver Orphan Kitten Rescue Association
May 31, 2020
“Extrapolating the data provided by Humane Canada projected that more than 600,000 homeless cats in Canadian shelters did not find new homes in 2011.” Read full story here.
- PetSmart Charities of Canada announces $20,000 grant for animal welfare groups
May 19, 2020
“Humane Canada strengthen local support for communities through access to veterinary services, pet food banks, and compassionate boarding for pet owners suffering from COVID-19 or fleeing domestic violence.” Read full story here.
- Should you adopt a pet during the COVID-19 pandemic?
April 16, 2020
“We suggest people should have an emergency preparedness plan for their pets during the pandemic……the suggestions include preparing an emergency kit for pets.” Read full story here.
- Canadians urged to include pets in their emergency plans
April 8, 2020
The Globe and Mail
“Humane Canada suggests making sure that their furry friends observe social distancing from other animals and humans because in rare cases the animal can become infected as well.” Read full story here.
- Canadians must include pets in coronavirus emergency plans, advocates say
April 8, 2020
“Humane Canada, which represents humane societies and SPCAs across the country urges Canadians to consider their pets as part of their COVID-19 emergency preparedness.” Read full story here.
- ‘She will reoffend,’ say animal rights advocates after April Irving given lifetime ban in one province
Dec. 13, 2019
“It’s very easy for people who hoard or puppy mill operators to be charged and convicted in one province — and move to the next. And we see that very clearly in the April Irving case.” Read full story here.
- The Pet Expert: New Animal Cruelty Laws Being Introduced in Ontario
Nov. 7, 2019
The Meaford Independent
“Crown prosecutor training is a breakthrough for Ontario in animal welfare….. It will strengthen relationships between enforcement and Crown leading to more convictions for animal abusers.” Read full story here.
- Ontario to introduce new animal welfare legislation
Oct. 29, 2019
“It is important to train prosecutors in animal cruelty cases……as it strengthens relationships between enforcement and Crown leading to more convictions for animal abusers.” Read full story here.
- Ontario introduces tougher penalties for animal abuse
Oct. 29, 2019
“The extra training for Crowns was hailed as a “breakthrough in Ontario for animal welfare” by Barbara Cartwright, chief executive of Humane Canada.” Read full story here.
- Opinion: Why the CFL’s Grey Cup rodeo is a huge marketing blunder
Sept. 23, 2019
“Animal welfare organizations including, Humane Canada work towards the ultimate abolition of the rodeo’s narrow cultural appeal.” Read full story here.
- Humane Canada Applauds Passing of Bill C-84 by Senate of Canada
June 19, 2019
“Bill C-84 gives prosecutors the ability to bring charges of animal abuse and sexual assault where in the past, they could not,” says Barbara Cartwright, CEO, Humane Canada.” Read full story here.
- “Chicken Whisperer” Receiving Prestigious National Animal Welfare Award For His Pioneer Research
April 8, 2019
“This award, which has been given out since 1985, acknowledges outstanding contributions to animal welfare in Canada…” Read full story here.
- Many animal welfare workers suffer from compassion fatigue: Humane Canada
March 6, 2019
“The people who work hard to help animals in crisis are becoming vulnerable themselves. It comes with sleeplessness, nightmares a general irritability and unhappiness.” Read full story here.
November 28, 2019
November 6, 2019
October 29, 2019